Restaurant industry devastated by plans to extend evening lockdown
News that Cabinet could extend current restrictions on coronaviruses until early next year has devastated the restaurant industry. A mandatory closing time of 5:00 p.m., among other things, means catering entrepreneurs will miss out on the most important part of their holiday turnover, said Ruud Bakker of the Eindhoven branch of the hospitality union. KHN in Omroep Brabant.
“I’m not even surprised anymore,” Bakker told the broadcaster. âA month ago, I had already said that it would last more than a few weeks and that I was in favor of hard confinement. Then everyone would have suffered a little, and we could continue. Now there is even more scrambling and thinking It is not for nothing that the Dutch have so little faith in the politics of the coronavirus. “
According to Bakker, the restaurant industry is still the biggest victim of Cabinet coronavirus policy. âI have the idea that it’s always moved to the restaurant business because it’s the economy that hurts the cabinet the least. They are the least embarrassed by it and can control it the best. Entrepreneurs have become discouraged. . “
Acting Prime Minister Mark Rutte and Health Minister Hugo de Jonge will hold a press conference on Tuesday evening. They will explain what the coronavirus restrictions will look like in the coming weeks. Infection figures in the Netherlands have started to decline, but the pressure on hospitals is still high.