Most food operators agree with no catering

Restaurants will be hit again by travel restrictions and a ban on accepting restaurant customers.

KUCHING (Aug 23): Most restaurant operators surveyed agree with the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) dinner ban directive for a week from yesterday, with some reluctant to open their outlets. sale.

Checks at Jalan Song, Metrocity, Jalan Matang and Uni Central shopping malls in Kota Samarahan showed many restaurants were only open for take-out, with no tables or chairs for on-site dining.

Kelvin Bong, 47, director of Dumenyi BBQ at a mall in Jalan Song, said it was too risky to allow dinner because the number of positive cases for Covid-19 was still high.

“No dinner is ok. We follow government guidelines and prioritize SOPs that need to be followed. If the government decides to extend it after August 29, we are prepared to adhere to it for everyone’s safety. Business is of course not so good with just take out, ”he said.

Still, he added, take-out is better than nothing, as he has to maintain the restaurant, the staff and pay the rent.

“As long as we break even and I’m able to pay my rent and the salaries of my staff, that’s enough for us. We are grateful that management gave us between 30 and 50% off the rental, ”revealed Bong, who has been in business for two years.

One of the owners of the Fauziah Family Café at Metrocity in Jalan Matang, Abang AzrenIliya Abang Arshad, 23, said they were a little reluctant to open the food court with daily cases in full swing.

“We are undecided. If we don’t open, there would be no income. If we are open, the cases are very high and we do not know who the carriers are.

“It’s good that SDMC stops eating dinner for a week. Of course it’s painful because only two weeks ago dinner was allowed and we just started to recover from losses and now no dinner is allowed.

“Nonetheless, we are adhering to government guidelines as Kuching Covid-19 cases are very high over the past week – in the thousands. If the government orders the lockdown, even better, once and for all,” he said. said Abang Azren.

For MummyPatz Dayak Café specializing in Dayak food located at Uni Central in Kota Samarahan, owner Patrila Augustine, 54, said the store was closed a week before the SDMC directive due to strong positive cases of Covid-19 around. of Samarahan.

“We have been closed since last week because there have been many cases in the Samarahan region. Instead, we take care of ourselves, our families and have decided to close. If we close until August 29, that would mean two weeks. Clearly, the government is making the right choice by not allowing dinner.

“Taking care of yourself is much more important than profit. We can always look for money, but health is wealth, ”she said.

Anverdeen Abdul Rasheed, 56, manager of Briyani World’s North and South Indian Muslim cuisine restaurant, also endorsed the government directive, but said such a directive should also apply to supermarkets where There are a lot of people.

“We agree, no dinner is allowed for a week, but the government should also monitor supermarkets which are always full of people. They are also susceptible to infection.

“It might be better to have a full lockdown for a week in Kuching except for essential services to resolve cases,” he said.








Source link

Comments are closed.