Memos show efforts to appoint alternate voters ahead of Jan. 6: NYT
- Two 2020 memos obtained by The New York Times highlight the significance of the January 6 date.
- The memos also detail the start of the “substitute voters” regime.
- The New York Times said the memos are the first known memos to describe a fake election scheme.
Two memos obtained by The New York Times show the first known sketch of the plan to field fake pro-Trump voters for the 2020 presidential election and the Trump administration’s interest in the Jan. 6 date.
In an effort to overturn the 2020 election results in seven swing states that voted for Joe Biden, Pro-Trump supporters attempted to assume voter roles and filed certificates claiming Trump had won, a non-profit watchdog group called American Oversight found in March 2021 voters had been chosen in fair elections.
In the first memo, sent to James R. Troupis, a Trump campaign attorney in the swing state of Wisconsin, on Nov. 18, 2020, another attorney, Kenneth Chesebro, argued that “the real deadline for settling votes state polls” was January 6 – the day Congress meets to finalize the electoral vote count.
Chesebro added that the deadline was not Dec. 8 – which he said was the “deadline for ‘refuge’ under the Voter Count Act” – or Dec. 14 – which he said was was the date “on which voters must vote in their respective states.”
In the second memo, also obtained by The Times, sent to Troupis on Dec. 9, 2020, Chesebro argued that “substitute voters” would be a legal act.
“Preferably, all voters who were on the ballot in the relevant state would be present. But if some are unwilling (due to intimidation) or unable to do so, at least four of the states allow voters who show up to fill empty slots with alternates,” Chesebro said in the second memo, sent Dec. 9, 2020.
“Voters would then all vote for Trump as president and Pence for vice president, separately,” Chesebro added.
According to the Times report, this reasoning led to the failure of Trump’s attempt to pressure former Vice President Mike Pence to prevent Congress from certifying the election on January 6, 2021.
The House Select Committee investigating the events of January 6, 2021 — including the attempts to void the election and the Capitol Riot — released a statement on January 28 saying that 14 people who potentially acted as substitute voters had been subpoenaed.
Boris Epshteyn, Trump’s former campaign adviser, admitted to MSNBC that he helped Rudy Giuliani, former New York City mayor and former Trump personal attorney, with the proxy voter program, as Insider reported. in January.
According to the New York Times, citing an unnamed source, Rudy Giuliani, in addition to other lawyers such as John Eastman, used the memos to set up “a strategy to exploit ambiguities in the voter count law.”
Kenneth Chesebro, James R. Troupis and former President Donald Trump’s office did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.