CT’s 500,000 home test kits not delivered overnight, Thursday’s distribution canceled

With the uncertain delivery of the 500,000 Connecticut home test kits purchased from a California company, city officials sent messages overnight to notify residents that some distribution events Thursday would be canceled.

Overnight, a message was sent to city officials saying, “No overnight test kit theft. No distribution on Thursday will be possible. More information as received, ”according to the governor’s office.

The City of New London shared on Facebook: “The city just received a notification that the test kits will not be available for distribution on Thursday. As a result, the cast scheduled for Thursday has been canceled.


The town’s post included a screenshot of a post apparently from the Emergency Services and Public Protection Department that was similar to the one shared by the governor’s office.

In a similar post around midnight, Norfolk Emergency Management said: “At 11:40 pm tonight all municipalities in CT were notified of the failure to deliver the Covid test kits as promised. As such, our distribution event scheduled for Friday has been canceled. We will make another announcement when we have new information. “

Other cities have started canceling distribution events scheduled for Thursday, including Ansonia and Fairfield.

Governor Ned Lamont released a statement on Wednesday evening that testing had been delayed due to problems on the west coast.

“Due to shipping and warehouse delays out of the state of Connecticut’s control, our state’s planned shipment of COVID-19 home rapid tests is currently delayed from arriving in Connecticut,” Lamont said.

When Lamont announced that the state had purchased 1.5 million home test kits on Monday, the tests were not yet available. Since then, state officials have made efforts to get the first shipment to Connecticut, hoping to get them to cities for distribution this week, ahead of the New Years holiday.

On Wednesday evening, Paul Mounds, chief of staff at Lamont, said: “We have provided realistic information to the municipalities. We hope to be able to put them in place for tomorrow … It is imminent. It’s just a matter of things moving, that’s all.

And Mounds said the state trusts the provider of the tests.

“We have a legitimate vendor that we’ve worked with in the past, we know exactly where these tests are at right now,” Mounds said.

Previously, the governor’s office said it obtained 1.5 million test kits directly from the vendor for about $ 18.5 million in federal funds.

After Lamont released the statement, a spokesperson for the governor clarified that the state originally expected the shipment to arrive on Wednesday and there was always the possibility that it would be delivered later in the day. evening or at night.

Asked early Thursday about an updated schedule for delivery, Lamont spokesman Max Reiss said it was too early to tell, but the governor’s office had vowed to keep cities up to date on the latest information.

The state purchased 1.5 million kits – for a total of 3 million tests – directly from the manufacturer. The second phase of the state delivery will send 1 million kits to schools across the state starting next month.

The tests, performed by California-based iHealth Labs, were approved by the Food and Drug Administration under emergency use authorization.

The promise of home testing kits comes amid an overwhelming demand for testing after the Christmas holidays as highly transmissible variants, including omicron and delta scanning across Connecticut.

Connecticut reported its highest positivity rate on a single day of new COVID-19 testing on Wednesday when 17.78% returned positive. Cases and hospitalizations have seen some of the biggest day-long jumps during the pandemic.

Check back for updates.


Source link

Comments are closed.