Cafe de Coral stops catering service from Tuesday

The main fast-food chain Cafe de Coral will stop dine-in service and switch to take-out only from Tuesday, March 1.

The same goes for congee restaurant Super Super Congee and Noodles, its parent company Cafe de Coral (0341) announced on Sunday.

Chief Executive Piony Leung Ho-ting said the number of cases had increased amid the fifth wave of the Covid-19 outbreak.

The chain has taken the decision to reduce the risks of transmission linked to the removal of masks by customers during their meals. The change will reduce crowds inside stores, she added.

The Café de Coral will continue its catering services to individual businesses.

The company said arrangements for the rest of the restaurants in its portfolio — including Spaghetti House and Super Sandwiches — will be announced on its social media pages. Some of these restaurants will maintain a catering service to serve people who work outside or who cannot eat at their place of work.

Simon Wong Ka-wo, chairman of the Hong Kong Federation of Restaurants and Allied Trades, said up to 300 restaurants closed in the fifth wave. More than 1,200 have suspended operations, he said last week.

Under current social distancing measures, restaurants can only accommodate two diners at each table. Food service is permitted until 6:00 p.m., after which only take-out is permitted.

Comments are closed.